Hundreds arrested and woman reportedly shot as police launch brutal crackdown in Myanmar

A woman was shot and hundreds arrested in Myanmar on Saturday in one of the most extensive crackdowns by the military junta since anti-coup demonstrations began.

Police threw stun grenades, tear gas and used live ammunition, witnesses claimed, as they clashed with crowds in the main city of Yangon.

A sea of demonstrators chanted and threw barricades across the street to block advancing authorities and shields to protect themselves from the police.

In the central town of Monwya one woman was reportedly shot, though the circumstances surrounding the incident and her current condition remain unknown. Four people are now known to have died since the coup on February 1.

Myanmar has been roiled by demonstrations since the army ousted Aung San Suu Kyi, accusing her and the party leadership of fraud in November elections. Uncertainty over her whereabouts is growing.

Street protests have been escalating, prompting a sweeping crackdown on Saturday.

An injured protester receives medical attention after police and milit down on a protest -

"People are protesting peacefully but they're threatening us with weapons," youth activist Shar Yamone said.

"We're fighting to end this military bullying which has been going on for generation after generation."

Hundreds of demonstrators are thought to have been arrested on Saturday, including several journalists.

More than 10 buses were seen entering Insein prison in Yangon, with “about 40 to 50 people in a prison bus”, the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners said.

"We can definitely say hundreds," the rights group added. “They arrested many people in Monywa too. We are now trying to get the names of the people."

Myanmar's UN Ambassador urged the United Nations to use “any means necessary” to prevent the military takeover on Friday, but was fired by military leaders the next day.

"We need further strongest possible action from the international community to immediately end the military coup  and to restore the democracy," Kyaw Moe Tun said.

Security forces fired guns on Monday afternoon as they combed through alleys in Yangon’s Sanchaung township in search of protesters, who had fled after being attacked with teargas and stun grenades. #WhatsHappeningInMyanmar 

See video:

Post a Comment